Tuesday 9 October 2007

A Beginning



In this blog I'm going to try and document my progress through an online animation class; "Mastering Maya: Advanced Digital Production" being delivered at 3dbuzz.com.


The class is a six month course, but will probably last longer knowing the value for money these guys give and it's the first time this class has run. The students must create a short CG animation; right from generating a story idea right through to a final video. I've opted to take the full class, where you have to stick to strict deadlines and maintain a work-in-progress web site (they supply web space for this). In return you get feedback on your work and advice from the tutors. Others can audit the class, where they get the class materials (videos) put don't get feedback or advice; allowing them to do things at their own pace.


My Current Task: The course officially started on 1st October and the first set of videos to watch was on web design; to help us with the design of the work-in-progress website. I'm about two thirds of the way through watching these videos (there's 46 of them). I'm fairly confident about putting together a website, at least from the technical point of view, the design will take a little more work. Our web space hasn't been made available yet so I'll post a link to it here, when it becomes available.

The Story So Far: I've been concentrating on getting a reasonable story for my short. I'll post the story on my website when it becomes active. I think I've come up with a good idea, but the question in my mind is whether it is doable by me in approx. 6 months. For instance, there are 5 characters in the story; do I have time to model, texture, rig and skin all of them in the alloted time? The story is a fairytale about a girl's encounter with a Kelpie: "a supernatural shape-shifting water horse from Celtic folklore that is believed to haunt the rivers and lochs of Scotland and Ireland."

More Videos: Last night (8th Oct) there were 4 new videos awaiting download in my drop-box. They were mainly about how the course is being conducted; planning the web site and (the biggie - nearly 2 hours long) an overview of the CG animation process. It really brought home the enormity of the task ahead. It had me shaking in my boots (well ... slippers actually), but it wouldn't be worth doing unless it's a challenge - right?

Tasks For Tonight:
  1. Watch the rest of the web design videos
  2. Make a start on my web page design
  3. Consider whether my story idea is too ambitious
Not much then!

No comments: